Reading well is the key to doing well in school. To help each child improve their reading skills there is a set time for reading each night. This is in response to the new Government initiative to help improve children’s standard of literacy.
• Each night has a reading time given. This is in response to the Government initiative to help improve children’s standard of literacy.
• The official guidelines state that in year 7 children should be reading on their own, or to their parents, for 20 minutes a night. This figure rises to between 20 to 30 minutes in years 8 & 9 .
• A record of literature read should be made in the ‘Silent Reading’ section in the Pupil Planners.
• Research homework may be set by departments when appropriate.
Please encourage your child to read as much as possible.
Each of the core subjects of English and Mathematics sets three homeworks (or its equivalent) per week in all years. Science sets two homeworks in Year 7 and three in years 8 & 9.
Humanities also sets two homeworks (or its equivalent) per week in all years.
French sets two homeworks per week in Years 7, 8 & 9.
ADT sets one homework per week in all years.
Music homework is not given on a weekly basis throughout all years, but it is related to certain projects as they occur.
• ICT and Music homework is not given on a weekly basis throughout all years but it is related to certain projects as they occur.
Learning Support homework is given only if appropriate for the individual pupil.
The table below gives what, and how much, homework each pupil is expected to do each night over the four years they attend Wigston Academy.
|Year 7||Year 8||Year 9|
|Subjects per week||6||6||7|
|Subjects per night||1 or 2||1 or 2||1 or 2|
|Time per subject||Up to 20 minutes||Up to 30 minutes||Up to 40 minutes|
|Total time per night||Up to 40 minutes||Up to 60 minutes||Up to 80 minutes|
|Reading time per night||20 minutes||30 minutes||30 minutes|
|Total time per night||60 minutes||90 minutes||110 minutes|