Advances in computing are transforming the way we work. From small businesses to global corporations, computers are essential tools in getting things done. This course teaches you computational thinking as well as dealing with the technical aspects of computers, software development and systems organisation. You will learn how to program in a language called Python. If you are excited by modern computer technology and want to learn more, you will really enjoy this course.
The course covers a wide range of technical aspects including the following:
• Fundamentals of algorithms
• Programming using Python
• Data representation
• Computer systems
• Computer networks
• Cyber security
• Ethical, legal and environmental impacts of digital technology on wider society, including issues of privacy
• Aspects of software development
• Exam board: AQA
• Paper 1: 40% (1hr 30mins) Mixture of multiple choice, short answer and longer answer questions. Main topics include: Computational thinking, problem solving, code tracing and applied computing as well as theoretical knowledge of computer science.
• Paper 2: 40% (1hr 30mins) Mixture of short answer and long answer based on theoretical knowledge.
• Non-examined assessment: 20% (Controlled assessment 20 lessons) A practical assessment spread over 20 lessons which examines the student’s ability to use the knowledge and skills gained through the course to solve a practical programming problem. Students will be expected to follow a systematic approach to problem-solving. They will design, develop (in Python), test and evaluate the program and will produce detailed documentation as evidence of their solution.