At Wigston Academy we will be offering identified students the opportunity to study for this additional qualification. This will be incorporated into their Maths lessons and will not require them to select it as an option choice. Students will, however be expected to undertake additional independent study to reinforce their learning within this subject area.
The AQA Level 2 Certificate in Further Mathematics is an untiered Level 2 linear qualification for students who:-
• either already have, or are expected to achieve grades 7-9 in GCSE Mathematics
• are likely to progress to A-Level study in Mathematics
• This qualification fills the gap for high achieving students by assessing their higher order mathematical skills, particularly in algebraic reasoning, in greater depth without infringing upon AS Level mathematics, thus preparing them fully to maximise their potential in further studies in Post-16. It offers the opportunity for stretch and challenge that builds on the Key Stage 4 curriculum and is intended as an additional qualification to the GCSE Mathematics, rather than as a replacement.
• The content assumes prior knowledge of the Key Stage 4 Programme of Study and covers the areas of algebra and geometry, which are crucial to further study in the subject, in greater depth and breadth. This extra qualification places an emphasis on higher order technical proficiency, rigorous argument and problem solving skills. It also gives an introduction to calculus and matrices and develops further skills in trigonometry, functions and graphs.
• The qualification is designed to be assessed as a full Level 2 mathematics qualification in its own right and is therefore not dependent on GCSE mathematics. Therefore there are no prior learning requirements but there is an expectation that candidates will have some assumed knowledge.